According to Mark Roemer Oakland, it makes sense to learn how to fix the most common plumbing problems to avoid damage to the floors, walls, and more. There is no need to call in professional help if it’s not a major problem such as an issue with the sewer system backup or sump pump failure.
Here are a few simple plumbing problems that you can easily fix:
- Leaky pipes – During the winter, the water in the pipes can freeze and cause it to burst, resulting in water leaks. Other causes for leaky pipes can be cracked pipes, corrosion, stubborn clogging, excessive water pressure, and seals. You may not even notice that your kitchen pipes or bathroom pipes have a leak until you inspect them thoroughly. It’s essential to fix a leaky pipe as soon as you notice them in order to save your time and money.
To fix leaky pipes, you have to do the following:
- Turn off the main water supply.
- Turn on the faucet connected to the leaky pipe to drain the remaining water.
- Wipe and dry the leaking area on the pipe using a dry cloth.
- Apply epoxy putty around the leaky area for a temporary fix.
- Hire a plumber to make the fix permanent or if it’s not working.
- Clogged drainage – Over time, the drainage system in your home can get clogged due to dirt, soap scum, hair binds, and other such materials. The only way to prevent it is to perform routine drain cleaning. Now, sometimes, the problems can get out of hand and can cause sewer line issues which can cause multiple drains to slow down or get clogged. In such cases, you need to hire a professional plumber to solve the issue. However, if you notice that only one drain is clogged, it’s a localized issue which can be fixed pretty easily using a plumbing snake which you can buy at any hardware store.
- Running toilets – Running toilets are a pretty common plumbing problem that can waste up to 200 gallons of water per day. Running toilets usually occur when the sediments and minerals in the water build up to eventually clog the inner workings and the filter of the toilet. Oftentimes, it also causes issues with the flapper valve that controls the water flow from the toilet’s tank to the bowl.
Fortunately, the issue can be fixed easily if you use a toilet repair kit which you can purchase from the local hardware store.
- Jammed garbage disposal – The kitchen sink usually gets clogged when the garbage disposal between the sink and the trap gets clogged. This usually happens when you dispose of food material such as potato peels and corn husks without adequate amounts of water. The first step to fixing this problem is to use the reset button. However, if it doesn’t resolve the issue, you need to use its key to open it up and use an ¼ inch Allen wrench to free the motor.
Mark Roemer Oakland suggests you perform routine maintenance of the plumbing system at your home to prevent common plumbing problems.
Leave a Reply