It could be that you have been using your existing air conditioner throughout the summer and suddenly it stops functioning. Your unit may have developed some common problems that you can locate with some tips from the air conditioner repair experts.
Tips to diagnose and repair the AC unit
1. AC turns on but fails to cool the room?
It could be that your central AC unit is running, but fails to cool the room like before. It could be due to airflow getting blocked somewhere within the system. It includes compressors, registers or filters. Even low refrigerant levels might be the issue. Without appropriate level of refrigerant, it becomes impossible to eliminate efficiently humidity and heat from the air.
- Check thermostat thoroughly and ensure if it is working normally.
- Also check the condenser to find out if there is any blockage or accumulation of dirt. Clean and remove the blockage. Airborne debris, grass or tall weeds might block the condenser.
- If ice is formed over the coils, then melt it by turning on the fan.
- Clean or replace the filter once a quarter.
- Clean outdoor compressor. Inadequate refrigerant level or faulty compressor should be taken care of by the air conditioner repair professionals.
2. Why the AC unit fails to turn on?
In case, your AC unit does not start at all, then it could probably be a blown fuse or circuit breaker or faulty or improperly set thermostat. It could also be that the internal switch is off.
- Check if the unit receives power from the set electrical panel.
- Replace fuse or reset circuit break.
- Check thermostat settings. Find out if it is not set to ‘heat’ or ‘off’ mode and should be on ‘cool’ mode.
- Check condensation overflow tray and remove excessive water. The tray may have a sensor to turn off the unit on collection of water.
- Check all switches present in the unit. They should be set in ‘on’ position. It also includes the external safety switch present close to the condensing unit.
- Ensure that the air handler’s blower door is properly closed.
3. Poor airflow circulation throughout the home
This may result from disconnected, cramped or blocked ductwork or dirty air filter.
- Clean/replace air filter.
- Inspect ductwork to ensure it is not disconnected. Also check ductwork. Connect or repair as deemed necessary.
- Check vents for register dampers to ensure being set in open position.
If you feel confused simply call the air conditioner repair professionals.